Monday, April 19, 2010

Infestation.

So, this is nasty. A few days ago I noticed some gnat-like insects hanging onto the sugar peas that are still indoors. I waved my hand around to create some wind and knock them off; they did not move. Those little suckers were stuck on there.

I was able to pluck them off one by one, but that got gross. Here's what they look like:


Within two days, they had made it to the squash, cucumbers and tomatoes. I searched a bit online and found a likely answer: I have aphids.

Maybe more appropriately: my garden has aphids. I, thankfully, am bug-free.

Last night I bought a spray bottle, then filled it with 2 tbsp dish soap and lukewarm water. I sprayed every leaf and stem and this morning the situation was better. Apparently the soap makes the stems and leaves too slippery for the insect to keep its footing. Aphids suck the plant to get all that good growing juice. This results in yellow leaves and, eventually, dead plantage. I'm hoping that I caught them in time!

Anyone have experience with these guys?

No comments:

Post a Comment