Friday, March 26, 2010

Container Gardening... go!

When you garden in an urban area, you're often limited to "container gardening." But which containers? And where do you buy them? Luckily, it's really easy and cheap to get the containers that will house your summer garden.

I'm big with recycling, so I'm always looking for ways to re-use packaging from the stuff we buy. Since I started this garden a few weeks ago, I'm like a hawk around the recycling bin. Anything that looks remotely helpful for a garden... well, I'm all over it. Here's a bunch of stuff that I have saved up for when I need to re-pot:


Can't wait to try TP rolls for long-rooted seedlings.


Those Jiffy pots in the background are the only things on that table that I purchased. I used them in the very beginning with my seeds, although I could have used egg cartons. We don't eat enough eggs to do the whole garden like this, but I managed to save one for the Oregano:

Not sure how this would do with a larger plant, like the squash. It works great for the teeny Oregano, though.


Here are some other reusable objects that I had lying around:

Cat grass growing in an old strawberry container.

A Trader Joe's asparagus carton is perfect for one block of Jiffy pots. These are growing sunflowers.


When it comes to African violets, you have to water them from the bottom. That means they always need to be placed in a larger bowl or container so that the plant can suck up water through the holes in its pot. Here's the result of a yogurt craving and a night of take-out:



Of course, if you're planting vegetable or fruit plants, you'll want to be sure that the container you're using is the right kind of material. According to Gayla Trail in Grow Great Grub, you have to be careful not to use a plastic container that might break down under heat or time (chemicals in your food = not the goal). Turn your potential container upside-down. Does it have a 1, 2, 4 or 5? You're good to go. Other numbers (3, 6 and 7 specifically) shouldn't be used to grow food.

And that's it! Super easy and super cheap. What are you waiting for? Container-ize!

No comments:

Post a Comment